Sunday 26 July 2015

Sem 2: Batch #5 - A Lot and Lot of Performances (Uptown Funk, 起床歌 & Begin Again)

Hello! Summer has officially officially started and I had an amazing time up on 中橫! I was debating with myself whether or not I should break my chain of nostalgic Sem 2 posts and blog about 中橫 while it was fresh in my mind, but then I uploaded the photos to Facebook already and if I blogged about it I would only be adding detail to my favourite moments.

(That was me persuading myself to not break the Sem 2 posts, btw) Therefore I shall resume.

The next thing that happened after Bicycle day was 社博 (Club Exhibition) and 期初社大 which roughly roughly translates to: Club Presentation at the Starting of the Semester. We had a stall during club exhibition and also a mini stage where we did 20 minute sessions. Besides that, we accepted a gig on a bigger stage, where we dressed up and everything (well, I did anyway). It's a little complicated haha, but it only shows how busy I was during that week. I had more than ten songs to learn and perform. But it was worth it.

I was going through the photos of 社博 and I found that because I passed my camera to other people, it was filled with photos I didn't take. And because my portrait lens' focus is controlled manually, most of the photos were out of focus or the lighting was weird haha. So I'll just choose the best.





It was really fun, performing on such an intimate stage, we were situated at the entrance of the exhibition so there were a constant stream of people passing by, but all they did was just pass by, hahaha. It was a challenge to see how well one could grab the attention of people wandering nearby. I still need more practice, obviously.

Besides performing, we had to hand out flyers and basically promote our club. I know this sounds weird, but I honestly like chatting with strangers.






Day two of 社博 we had the scheduled performance on the big stage. It's called 動態舞台 Action Stage (?) and I performed with Linus, Xuncheng and BJ. We did a set of three songs, the last one being Uptown Funk. As I don't have the ability to play guitar that well, I played the melodica and ukulele. I honestly really liked our performance that day. It was cute and my melodica arrangement was spot one hehe.


Setlist:
1. 關於我愛你 by 張懸 
2. 因為你 by 女孩與機器人
3. Uptown Funk by Mark Ronson ft. Bruno Mars






And behold, some badly taken phone photos. Front camera photos are absolutely horrible.

Compiling photos is such hard work, and I always start these posts with such enthusiasm but then it starts to bleed out as my laptop refuses to cooperate. So halfway through these posts I start to lose patience and then I rush to the ending. Which is exactly what I'm doing now.

期初社大 is a full performance, with different bands from Minyaotuan in the club. But that's just how our club ikes to do it. The other clubs here in NCKU all do different things as the purpose of this presentation is to attract people into our club.

I was super excited for my first ever 期初社大 in which I had a chance of performing in. Besides that, I was also the emcee for the event. Before the semester even started, I had already picked out the song I wanted to cover. I wasn't even in Taiwan when I picked out that song. Enthusiastic Noel is slightly terrifying.

And I was also asked to be the lead singer for another song. A Taylor Swift song, Begin Again. But because the weather was extremely unstable (it dropped to 16 degrees), it took a toll on my voice. I couldn't control my voice they way I liked it and it made me sound like a duck.


This is 起床歌 by 曹格 Gary Cao, he's Malaysian and I really love the bluesy, big band vibe of the original song. We wrote a little something at the starting of the song, as a contrast to the happy upbeat feel when we go into the verse.

Lyrics:
Oh oh 今晚睡不著
想起以前那個  廢物男朋友
自從失戀以後  丟掉了工作
於是我也成了... 廢物

沒錢了  媽媽又不給錢
房東又在那邊  雞雞歪歪
靠~  腰~ (哭餓)
肚子餓

I'm pretty sure there are two swear words in it but my Taiwanese friends assure me there isn't.

I don't really like Begin Again, to be honest, cause I just don't feel as strongly for the song as I do for 起床歌 but everyone told me they liked Begin Again better. Ah well.

Below are some of my favourite photos of the event



















Okay, I'm sure there are plenty of photos on this post now.

I'll leave ya'll with this video of me dancing to Uptown Funk

Funky Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment

People who comment are sexy

These Are Apparently Popular