Tuesday 4 March 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Blue Noise


Title: Blue Noise
Author: Debra Oswald
Publisher: Random House Australia
Genre: Contemporary
Pages: 271
Release Date: 2009
Book Source: A bookstore near my house which isn't there anymore
Goodreads

Behind the Book:
Ash is drooling over a guitar - the one he can't afford - when he meets Charlie Novak. One jam session later and Charlie convinces Ash to play in his band. But it'll never work. Bands never do. 

Erin is wandering down a corridor at school - overthinking things as usual - when she runs into Charlie. Literally. The guy is a fruitloop, with his weird hair and hyperactive rantings. When Charlie invites her to be the band's keyboard player, Erin can't get a word in to say no. She's a classical pianist. It'll never work. 


But maybe this time things will be different. Maybe blues music is just what Ash and Erin needed. 

In Front of the Book:
I don't think the two models represent Ash and Erin well, as they don't look like that in my head, but it brings out the whole theme of the book: Music and Young Love. Which is pretty cool. And who can resist a boy holding a guitar? And I really like the font of the title. It just fits okay?

Review:
I'm just going to tell you right off that I love this novel to bits. I felt like Ash in the guitar store when I saw this book. I could see it, use it, but it wouldn't be mine because it was expensive (this book was RM49.90 wtf). But somehow, I owned this book and it was the best thing ever.

This book is about music. But it isn't just  about music. It's also about friendship, young love and breaking free (starting to sound a bit like HSM oops). And I like how Debra Oswald wrote the story, navigating between Ash and Erin, so I could get inside both of their heads.

The plot was fine. I couldn't find anything wrong with it. I loved how the band progressed, how they started from a practice session to something big. I just rooted for the band all the way.

I realize now that some people might find this book a bit dull, as Debra is quite detailed in describing the little things of each of the characters, but I think that's what makes the book unique. Through the little details like Charlie's family and his interactions with them, Erin's clumsy thoughts, and also Ash's fascination with guitars, it made me fall in love with the characters. When the plot twists came (although it was considerably predictable), I cried and I felt angry. I was that  into the book.

Now let's talk about the characters.

Erin Landers didn't come across as annoying to me. Sure, she was shy and she couldn't express what she was thinking, but I loved her still the same. I especially understood when she thought: "..., piano felt like a habit , something she kept doing because she didn't know how to stop." Because as a fellow piano player myself, I had this dilemma too. I connected  with Erin. And she was such a dork sometimes, but it stuck with me because I am a dork too. Besides, she wrote a song and I'm really jealous.

Ash Corrigan. *deep breath* Where do I start? He's the sensitive type. He cares about his mother, he cares about Charlie, he cares about the band. And it really doesn't hurt that he is also madly good at guitar, and is always challenging himself to learn more riffs and licks. Which I really admire. Obviously I ship Ash and Erin hard. But i also ship Ash and Noel hard because I love Ash.

I think the romance played out nicely, just the way I liked it. Not too quick, and with lots of cuteness. If only I was Erin T.T

This book filled 14-year-old Noel with lots and lots of musical dreams, it pushed Noel to practice Blues riffs (although she still sucks at it), it made Noel want to form a band (she actually did, it's called Black Roses and we died off, as expected). So, yes. I have mad love for this book. 

Rating:
Five feathers because mad love


Quotes:
"Ash believed there was a lot of luck involved in which family you were born into. It was like buying a ticket for a lucky dip. Some kids got winning tickets and some got dud ones."
-I really like this line because it's just so whimsical.

" 'Spaghettification' is a proper scientific term. It's the process that happens when an object falls into a black hole. The forces in the black hole split and stretch the object until it becomes a series of long strings of atoms, like the thinnest imaginable pasta. "
-Well. I smiled at this. So it gotta mean something. 


*************************
I hope I didn't sound too fangirly here. I just love this novel a lot. I still love it even though I've read it 5 times (not lying). I hope all the music lovers out there will give this book a try, and maybe let it inspire you too.

Here's some blues for you:

Till the next book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

People who comment are sexy

These Are Apparently Popular